Geometry and Spatial Sense

3:34 PM


 This week we focused on Geometry and Spatial Sense which translates into representing 2D and 3D shapes and looking at the relationships between points, lines and surfaces. This strand always confused me. When it comes to this strand I am a kinesthetic learner and I would always prefer to hold the 3D shapes in my hand to look at and learn from rather than visualizing them on paper. The chapter found in “Making Math Meaningful to Canadian Students K-8” focuses on exploring geometric properties, the relationship between geometric properties and the location/movement of shapes.


Retrieved from: http://gph.is/1ZDWQOw

This week our teach set the stage with an activity called Coordinate Sheets.
We were given a list of points on the board and we were asked to plot the points onto our graph we had in front of us. If we plotted the points correctly, we would uncover an image! At first I forgot about the x and y coordinated on the graph paper so I did the first two backwards. After I realized what I was doing wrong, it was easy for me to plot the rest of them quickly. This would be a great refresher for students to complete for each holiday as you can easily change the coordinates to create a different picture. If we wanted to make this more difficult our teacher suggested we could give students a blank piece of graph paper and have them draw their own X and Y coordinates with a number scale.

My attempt with the Coordination Sheet!



We also had 3 more presentations this week which focused on different aspects from Geometry and Spatial Sense.  The presenters covered modelling shapes, rotating shapes on a coordinate grid and representing shapes. I really enjoyed Jacob’s presentation as he had lots of manipulative's to help those kinesthetic learners such as myself play around with the shapes to better understand the concept.  The presentations were very well done and I can’t wait to see what next week’s presenters come up with.

A picture I took from the presentation activity


Rebecca also asked us to reflect on the hardest part about planning a lesson. The past two weeks we have been introduced on lesson planning and it seems a bit daunting trying to fit everything you want to do in a couple pages. I found my biggest goal is trying to create a lesson that is learner centred and constantly keeping students in the back of my head while planning, implementing and assessing. Sharing the power with them gives them more confidence in their learning and they will become better students because of it. If we allow students to be apart of the decision making, they can help us collaborate in how they want their learning to take shape. Children need for curriculum to be presented in a context that's engaging and meaningful to them. They need to understand how they can apply the skills in a meaningful way to their lives outside of school. The best learning takes place when teachers include real-world relationships whenever possible in lessons.

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts