Growing Success and its impact on me!

10:16 AM


How has Growing Success impacted my beliefs about assessment?

I cannot relate completely to the Kindergarten Growing Success Addendum. Being in the J/I program it is my hope to teach the junior/ intermediate grades however there is some important information that all teachers can take away from reading the document.

The Kindergarten Addendum focuses on a play based inquiry design program since young children are curious and have a lot of potential to think. These are the important years for a child in their learning because it all depends on the teacher who teaches them all the important skills and thinking they need to know before I get them in my class. 
Image result for shaping young minds
Retrieved from Google 


In relation to the Growing Success document I am still working to fully understanding it as a whole. I know I have a lot to learn and my associate teacher will help me to fully understand this document. What I have taken away from this document that I have used in almost every class this semester is the seven fundamental principals which help us student teachers help understand lesson planning and how to implement differentiated instruction. 


Image result for differentiated instruction
Retrieved from Google

The 7 Fundamental Principals in Growing Success:

In order to ensure that assessment of/for/as, evaluation, and reporting are valid and reliable, and create practices and procedures that:

1)         are fair, transparent, and equitable for all students;
2)    support all students, including those with special education needs, those who are learning the language of instruction (English or French), and those who are First Nation, Métis, or Inuit;
3 ) are carefully planned to relate to the curriculum expectations and learning goals and, as much as possible, to the interests, learning styles and preferences, needs, and experiences of all students;
4)         are communicated clearly to students and parents at the beginning of the school year or course and at other appropriate points throughout the school year or course;
5)      are ongoing, varied in nature, and administered over a period of time to provide multiple opportunities for students to demonstrate the full range of their learning;
6)    provide ongoing descriptive feedback that is clear, specific, meaningful, and timely to support improved learning and achievement;
7)      develop students' self-assessment skills to enable them to assess their own learning, set specific goals, and plan next steps for their learning.
Growing Success (Ontario Ministry of Education, 2010, p. 6)


I think that it is normal to feel overwhelmed with these documents because these are the tools we need to teach effectively. I know that I have a lot of reading and learning to do with these documents but I am excited to put it all into practice. Essentially we are learning how to grow and succeed understanding these documents so we can help our students grow and get the best learning out of them! 


You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts