I survived teaching math... and it wasn't as bad as I thought!

12:29 PM



This has been a longggg semester with a lot of (almost) mental breakdowns and enough coffee and tears to fill up Niagara Falls. 



Retrieved from Giphy


I can say that this math course wasn't as bad as I had originally assumed in the summer. When I came into the course, I expected the worst. I was convinced that this class would be how I failed out of the program. All these years of the anxiety I had and the fear that I couldn't do math changed in one class with Rebecca. What I really enjoyed was that Rebecca really helped us focus on the concepts of how to teach rather then drilling us with math problems. She provided us with a lot of strategies and resources to make children feel less anxious in a math class which I really appreciated because I was that student convinced I couldn't do math and now I know how to make those students in my class comfortable and confident math learners. 



As a future teacher I really want my students to feel confident with their math skills. I recently just got to observe my first placement (YAY!) and the students seemed like they understood their math lesson fairly well. My associate teacher really understands that differentiation should be a requirement for all math classes because everyone learns material and information differently, especially in math so he uses a lot of examples,  real life scenarios and manipulatives. I am really excited to try and teach a lesson and have students give me input as I go along. Students are the main focus so if they can tell me how to improve, I am ready to listen.





Retrieved from Google



I cannot wait to use all the resources that Rebecca has provided to us in order to help students understand a tough concept in an easier form. 


I just wanted to take a minute to thank our teacher, Miss. Bunz on a really informative, fun and anxious-free math class. No one in my family can believe that I haven't cried once in your class, because they all know from many years of school how many times I would come home frustrated over a math problem or concept. Thank you for showing not only me, but the rest of the class that math is fun and that there are different strategies to use before you look at a problem and immediately say: "I don't get it!" I will be a better math teacher because of you so I just wanted to take this opportunity to say thanks! 



Retrieved from Giphy




You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts