Math Reflection Week 3!

11:43 AM

This week kicked off our Learning Activity presentations that we presented to the class. One that really stood out to me was a classmate who taught us a mini lesson on common multiples. What I noticed immediately was that she had the definitions of multiple and common multiples in her slide slow as a refresher. After explaining the definitions, she showed us visually on the board how to find a common multiple.

Woodley Wonder Works. (2015, October 12). Middle School Math Class. [Online Image]. Retrieved frohttp://bit.ly/2cXNAJt.

 This is very helpful in a classroom because if the student couldn't understand the concept written, he/she could understand visually with a picture. This instantly creates an atmosphere where everyone is on the same page because she made sure we all had the concept down before she moved on to the main activity. As a future educator it is important that you make sure you are creating a lesson where all learners feel included. She did this very well. After we were all comfortable with the terms she presented us with this question:
“A used book from the Book Store costs $ 4.00 and a new book costs $ 6.00. Nancy bought some used books and Barb bought some new books. They both spent less than $ 15.00 but they spent the same amount of money. How many books did they each buy?”
In groups we had a little baggie with pictures of books and the price on each book. This was a visual to help us count and find the common multiple to determine how many books they each bought. Our classmate used the "what we know" concept by helping us (the students) break down the question to make it seem less intimidating and more comfortable. I think this is one of the greatest tools to use in a classroom. Lots of students have no confidence when it comes to math. They haven't been taught to look at the problem and break it down. I have been that student who goes home and cries because I couldn't understand why it was so difficult for me to solve a problem that other students understood right away.
We've all felt like this before! 

 I wish I had a teacher that thought of different ways to explore the problem and ease my stress rather than giving us only one way to look at it. If I ever have to teach math, I will always make my students use the "what I know" concept.

When I first enrolled for this class in the summer, I remember calling my mom and telling her I might as well drop out because there was no way I was going to pass this math class. Then I got that email for the refresher class and I thought, now I really have no chance!! After giving this class a chance, I am learning that the problem was I didn't have any confidence in myself! I realized quickly that if I didn't show my students that math IS fun, they were going to hate it just as much as I did! And who want's to be that kind of teacher? (I bet  if my Gr. 8 math teacher saw this right how, he would be so happy for my change of heart!)





 In order to create a positive atmosphere you need to constantly create and find resources that will help you in enhancing your lessons. Our classmate who presented the Common Multiples lesson found a great resource that helps you work on the areas you feel could use improvement. If you are interested in this resource, you can click here.

It is always important to have a positive attitude when teaching math, and if it doesn't always go as you planned (as it sometimes will), you need to stay CONFIDENT and find another way that the students will understand.



You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts