Welcome!

2:15 PM



Hey everyone and welcome to my blog!

My name is Ally McWhirter and I am in the Teacher Education program at Brock University! I completed my undergrad in Modern Language with a major in French and a minor in Italian. I love languages and travelling to new places exploring the culture.Feel free to take a look at my Pinterest page to find out more about my interests!


This blog will be educationally focused around my classes, experiences and challenges that I will be going through.
Visiting a beautiful winery on a summer exchange program through Brock University!

I have volunteered many times in my hometown of Brantford helping my French teacher and practicing the skills needed to become an effective teacher in the future. I helped plan and integrate oral activates into the lessons so students felt comfortable practicing their French skills with their peers. 

I also spend time with a young boy named Gregory who has Down Syndrome. I take him out on excursions where we practice his verbal and social skills in the community such as ordering a smoothie and timbits from Tim Horton's. As a future educator I believe it is important to have background knowledge on all types of students that could potentially be placed in your classroom. Spending time with Greg really helps me understand the kind of teacher I want to be. I encourage all of you to become a mentor to a child with exceptionalities. It truly is a life changing experience. 



This post today is to highlight two of my classes, Teaching Digital Learners in the Digital Age, and Mathematics. 

I don't know much about technology besides the basics of using my phone or navigating my way around Facebook. I was so surprised to find out how easy most of these digital applications were to use.I can't wait to learn how I can incorporate technology into my classroom. I feel that more children will be inspired and motivated to participate with this new age of learning.  In class, we watched a video related to Genius hour, which is a movement encouraging students to explore their own passions in the classroom.
Take a look here! :)



Math is another story. (cue the dramatic music)


Anybody else relate to this? (Or is it just me?)


I am the first to admit that I am not the greatest student to have in a math class. I get frustrated very easily when I can't grasp the concepts as quickly as others. I feel that I have a lot of advice to give to students who are scared or frustrated with their math. I've been in their shoes and I know how tough it can be. I am looking forward to learning new techniques to help me grow more confident and be an effective mathematics teacher so I can help my students excel.


I am so excited for this year and everything that it will bring! 

Until next time,

Ally 

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts